Saturday, March 22, 2014

Meaning of Gayatri Mantra

Hi,
Every night before going to bed, we used to speak these lines in a gathering at the terrace of our hostel at the boarding school.

"Om Bhur bhuva sawah tat savitur varenyam,
bhargo devasya dheemahi dhiyo yo nah prachodayat"

 I lived in hostel for six years at JNV Pandoh(Mandi) and it was a daily routine and necessity to say the night prayer. What I understood about the mantra at that time was that this is a prayer to the Goddess Gayatri to do something good in our life.
I searched for the meaning and Mantra in the internet because,  everyday for 6 years, is a long period of time and I must know the meaning of it. Many articles write that every word that we utter is just not a mechanical utterance but they create some vibrations of particular frequency.
Om is known as a word of most powerful frequency and it is believed that initially universe was just a word "Om". Sorry, I don't have any evidence or much experience to prove that right or wrong but yes if you say that word "om" in mind or with tongue, you get a relaxed state of mind.

From a website 'askganesha.com', I came to know that gayatri mantra was discovered by sage Vishwamitra. Maharishi Vishwamitra is also credited as author of most of the mandala 3 of the Rigveda which I have not read yet. If you have and if interested in discussing please leave a comment below.

This website explains the meaning of the Gayatri mantra in the following lines:
"(Om) We meditate (Dheemahi) upon the spiritual effulgence  (Bhargo) of that adorable supreme divine reality (Varenyam Devasya), the source(Svitur) of the physical(Bhur), the astral(Bhuva), and the heavenly(Savaha) Spheres of existence. May that (Tat), Supreme divine being enlighten (Prachodayat) our (Nah) intellect(Dhiyo) (so that we may realize the supreme truth)."

Above lines of the Gayatri Mantra were then followed by the following lines:

"Om Asato maa sad gamaya , 
 tamaso maa jyotir gamaya,
mrtyor maa amritam gamaya"

I partly understood the meaning of the above mantra but now I understand this.
'Om Asato maa sad gamaya' means Om(I meditate), take me from lie or non-reality(Asat) to truth or reality(Sad).
"Tamaso maa jyotir gamaya" - means take me from darkness or ignorance(Tamas) to light or knowledge(Jyoti).
"Mrtyor maa amritam gamaya"- means take me from the death(Mrtyo) or cycle of birth and death to enlightenment or Moksha(amritam).

I can understand the meaning to a deeper level now because, I was a kid then, do you have further deeper meaning? Please share with me.
 I read it somewhere that if you chant a mantra with its meaning in your mind it increases the effects to many thousand times. I don't know the truth of that but that is what I read. If you are interested you can experiment that for your self.

Thanks for your kind visit!




No comments:

Post a Comment